Monday, March 23, 2009

Formal and Informal Writing

Writing can be divided into two types - formal and informal.

Formal types of writing include:

* academic writing - essays, articles
* business/formal letters
* reports
* legal documents
* news articles
* job applications - letter/resume/cv
* instructional manuals

Characteristically, these styles of writing are identified by their objective and unbiased approach and a reliance upon factual information for support. This could include quotations from authorities on the subject, statistics or historical data. There is also a deliberate avoidance of reference to self (eg. I think..., I believe...), with the obvious exception of a job application. Abbreviations (eg, etc) and contractions (couldn't, won't) are also not appropriate in formal writing.

Conversely, more informal types of writing are much more emotive and will offer opinion and conjecture rather than fact.

Informal types of writing include:

* personal letters
* letters to the editor
* opinion columns
* email
* blogs
* diaries/journals
* social networking sites - eg. Facebook, MySpace, Twitter

In this type of writing, the writer is free to express him or herself as they choose, employing first person reference and personal anecdotes to add interest as well as to illustrate points. Basic conventions of writing tend to be followed, such as using sentences and paragraphs, however, correctness in spelling and punctuation may be sacrificed for the sake of speed and convenience.

Increasingly, there has been a blurring of the boundaries between formal and informal writing, but I think it is fairly easy to deliniate. I apply these questions to whatever the document I am creating. If the answer is yes, I need to be formal; if I answer no, my approach will be informal -

* is this document related to the paid/course/school work I do?
* do I use prescribed guidelines/respond to set criteria in the construction of my document?
* could this document appear in a public arena (eg. blogspot, newspaper)?
* would the recipient be likely to shake my hand if we met in person?
* can I expect a formal response (in a predictable format) to this document?
* do I expect this document to be acted upon in a specific and timely way?
* lastly (and perhaps this is the best guide, although a little quirky!) - would I find it strange to be sharing a meal, in my own home, by my invitation, with the intended recipient?

If your answer to each of the above questions is mostly YES, then you know you are dealing with a formal document and need to adhere to conventions of formal writing. If you answer mostly NO, then you can relax and write whatever you like - you know the reader (or feel like you do) and are comfortable with how they will respond to whatever it is you have to say.

http://www.wordwriteforsuccess.com.au/

No comments:

Post a Comment