Saturday, March 7, 2009

Does the Queen use a fresh towel each day?

After a day of focusing on housework and working on home renovations, I found myself considering this question as I was pegging out clothes at 6.30pm tonight - does the Queen use a fresh towel each day? Now that Summer is over and we are into Autumn, I am almost at breaking point when it comes to washing towels. I know, I know...I should find a more serious problem. Right now, this is it!

Because we live on the Gold Coast and go to the beach, because we have a pool and swim in it and because we maintain basic levels of hygiene and bathe at least once a day (often twice or three times), our little family of four manages to use a number of towels each week that I am constantly surprised by and a little embarrassed to report. It is possible to find not a single towel in our linen cupboard at certain times of the week. This is a linen cupboard that on last spring clean had six towels culled from the collection, but still contains over twenty towels.

What to do? Do I take heart that we may be royalty-by-association through towel overuse or do I sit my family down for a deep and meaningful discussion of towel protocols? I recall recently telling someone that my pet hate was finding a towel which had not been hung back up properly, but perhaps I needed to be more specific. My pet hate is this attitude displayed by one unnamed family member in particular - why would a towel need to be rehung when it's highly unlikely to be used again before it is washed? If anyone can help me deal with this kind of logic, I'd be grateful for your advice.

Meanwhile, I take heart that tomorrow is another (washing!) day. I guess I should be glad that towels are being used, because that means I'm living with washed and clean (or at least wet!) people. One final question I have - if the Queen does use a fresh towel each day, who is doing her washing? Not her, I bet!

http://www.wordwriteforsuccess.com.au/

2 comments:

  1. Luckily the old cliche of the English only bathing once a week is a myth! Considering the sardine impersonation I do on the tube every day from Baker Street to Canary Wharf this is definitely a good thing. I've been meaning to rant about the tube for a while, so here's my top 3 annoying tube habits:
    1. People leaving their backpacks on instead of taking them off and putting them at their feet. This is almost as bad as farting loudly just before you get off at your stop.
    2. Moving down inside the carriage using all available space. Every time I get on the tube I have to ask people to move down to save me getting my right ear caught in the door as it closes. Usually they look at me as though they've eaten two handfulls of soma for breakfast.
    3. People creeping in from the side of the line to board the train. Everyone can see them do it, they know they're doing it, and unless they're pregnant and trying to get to the nearest hospital at rush hour on a Tuesday morning it's bad form.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I empathasise. When our three children were living at home, life was much the same for me. Actually, all three could usually be relied upon to hang up their towels after showering.

    However, it became apparent as the years went on that the youngest member of the family was quite indiscrimate in his choice of towel. This resulted in quite lengthy family conferences where basic hygiene was explained thoroughly. Did it make any difference? No.

    I have always been hesitant to ask youngest's bride-to-be if he still has the same habits. When we visit I always squirrel my towel back to my room rather than leaving it in the bathroom where unknown atrocities might occur.

    Another time I shall write about disappearing beach towels.

    Judy

    ReplyDelete