Tuesday, April 14, 2009

One or two words?

There are certain words in the English language which cause confusion:

Always written as two words:

* thank you
* in front
* all right
* in fact
* on to

Always written as one word:

* today
* tomorrow
* tonight

Can be either depending on context of use:

* all ways, always

eg. I tried all ways out but they were blocked.
I always take my umbrella out with me.

* may be, maybe

eg. She may be unable to attend the party.
Maybe I'll have a coffee.

* every one, everyone

eg. The toddler ate every one of her peas for dinner.
We asked everyone we knew to come to the celebration.

* all together, altogether

eg. The students gathered all together for the principal's address.
Altogether, the boys had enough money to buy three packets of lollies.

* some times, sometimes

eg. There are some times when the tide reaches the base of the bridge.
Sometimes he skips his morning jog and sleeps in.

http://www.wordwriteforsuccess.com.au/

2 comments:

  1. What about setup? As in, can somebody help me setup this tent?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitely two words - set up. Are you going camping? C x

    ReplyDelete