Sunday, April 5, 2009

How to Write a Job Application Letter

If you are seeking paid employment, whether it be full-time, part-time, permanent or casual, the first step in the application process is to write a letter of application. Usually, this letter will have a resume attached to it.

Employers use a letter of application for several purposes:

• To assess a person’s ability to express him/herself clearly and coherently
• To assess basic spelling, punctuation, grammar and paragraphing
• To observe an applicant’s presentation skills – layout and neatness
• To discover preliminary information about a job applicant’s qualifications, skills and personality

A sample letter looks like this:

21 Rush Avenue
RINGWOOD QLD 4234

1 April 2009

The Manager
Jobs R Us
PO Box 333
BRISBANE QLD 4000

Dear Sir/Madam, (don’t make any assumptions about gender, unless the name has been given as part of the advertised position)

I am writing to apply for the position as office manager advertised on www.seek.com.au on 30 March 2009. I believe I possess the skills and attributes you are seeking for this position. (state position being applied for, place and date you saw it advertised)

I possess a Certificate IV in Frontline Management as well as….. (provide a brief outline of key qualifications).

I have worked as an office manager for the past three years in a very similar role to your advertised position. In that role, I have been responsible for ….(list key duties) Although I have been very happy in this position, the reason I had to leave was that our family made the decision to move to Brisbane recently. (if you have left your previous job because you became sick of it or didn’t like your employer, it is important not to present this in a negative manner – eg. ‘I am seeking the challenge of a career change’ sounds better than ‘I got sick of working in retail’) I have attached my resume which provides further detail, including referee contact information.

I would very much appreciate the opportunity of an interview at your convenience to discuss my application further. I can be contacted during office hours on … (show your willingness for the employer to make contact and provide times and contact details – email address and mobile number is best).

Yours faithfully,

(leave room for you to sign your name after you have printed the letter)
Ima Goodworker (type your name)


http://www.wordwriteforsuccess.com.au/

2 comments:

  1. simple and to the point . thats what an employer is looking for.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really impressive post. I read it whole and going to share it with my social circules. I enjoyed your article and planning to rewrite it on my own blog. job application letter

    ReplyDelete