Thursday, April 30, 2009

I or me?

While I was teaching a group of students this afternoon, we discovered an error in the answer key for a grammar activity. The sentence said:

My husband and I are very pleased with the progress that our daughter has made.

The answer key incorrectly stated that the "I" should have been replaced by "me". As I went on to explain to my students, had the sentence finished with the personal pronoun, eg, "The progress made by our daughter has been very pleasing for my husband and me", then, and only then, would "me" have been appropriately used.

Basically, if the sentence continues after a listing including the personal pronoun, "I" must be used, whereas, if the sentence ends on the personal pronoun, "me" is correct.

Examples to illustrate:

"I"

Michelle and I decided to spend the morning at the beach.

After the movie, my mother, my daughter and I went for a stroll along the boardwalk.


"me"

Spending the morning at the beach was relaxing for Michelle and me.

After the movie, a stroll along the boardwalk was taken by my mother, my daughter and me.


http://www.wordwriteforsuccess.com.au/

No comments:

Post a Comment