Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Junky Junk Mail

If we had a set of scales, I would weigh the junk mail we have received since last weekend. Since we don't, I'll have to try to estimate the weight of it at around 5 kgs. Put it this way, I can't lift it all with one hand (then again, I am a bit of a weakling!).

Nevertheless, the point I'm making is that the volume of junk mail we are receiving is out-of-control. We are seeing an environmental disaster occur on a daily basis and before our very eyes. When the amount of paper, ink, printing and distributing is considered, this has a massive environmental impact. Add to this that the normal next stop for the junk mail after it has made its way into the home is the household bin (with perhaps a few detours around the house if a good breeze picks up unexpectedly). I, for one, hate the mess junk mail creates and can't wait to get it out of the house and into the bin. Of course, this then needs to be collected and disposed of by our councils. Fingers crossed that householders put their junk mail into the recycling bin when they are finished with it, at the very least! There's no denying, though, that junk mail is posing a serious environmental issue.

Secondly, in amongst today's junk mail, I found a particularly large and glossy flyer from a company offering me the opportunity to have my business's flyer produced and distributed by them, so there is a very active and quite convincing campaign to potentially increase the junk mail factor. Well, I'm not interested and I sincerely hope that there are many likeminded others. I have horror visions of households across Australia drowning in their junk mail.

Lastly, since so many are able to enjoy access to the internet and growing numbers are attaching a polite 'Australia Post Mail only' label to their letterboxes without seeming to be too deprived of crucial information to be able to function in their lives, why not let people make a choice to seek the service or good they need via the internet? If we don't like to be bothered by telemarketers or door-to-door salespeople, how is it that we are allowing so much other unsolicited material to make its way into our letterboxes and then into our home? If I want a product or service, I'm going to go looking for it and the first place I'm likely to do that is on the internet. A quick google search usually provides the information I'm seeking. It's saving the environment, it's neat and tidy and I find information I need rather than being besieged by information I have little (and usually no) interest in knowing.

Now that I've had my rant, I had better put my plan into action and get our letterbox its special message to future junk mail deliverers. While it feels like we've received junkmail for every possible service or product known to humankind, from tree lopping to beauty salons to tax return preparation (sound familiar?), I doubt there's ever been a single piece distributed offering 'Polite Letterbox Signage'!

http://www.wordwriteforsuccess.com.au/

No comments:

Post a Comment