Saturday, May 30, 2009

Writing (as opposed to word processing)

If 'writing' is literally interpreted as 'handwriting', when it comes to document writing these days, the word,'writing', is a bit of a misnomer, really, isn't it? Today, when a student has an assignment to write or when a business person has a document to prepare, is it literally handwritten with a pen or pencil onto paper? My observations would lead me to believe that it is more likely that the student or the business person 'logs on' to their computer of choice and word-processes the document, from ideas stage through to final copy.

Twenty years ago, writing the same document was a much more time-consuming process. Drafting and redrafting, prior to a finished copy being prepared, all took place by hand. Possibly, the finished copy was typed, but all steps leading to this point were by hand. When I think back on this, I can remember many instances of asking my mother to proofread what I hoped would be the final copy of a school assignment for me with trepidation, knowing that if she found even one or two errors, I would have to start afresh so as to submit a perfect copy. On more than one occasion, this was exactly what happened and I would have to go 'back to the drawing board' and rewrite the entire assignment.

We writers of today are so much more fortunate - all we have to do is hover our cursor at a particular point on the screen, click on the backspace key, and type a correction. The efficiency allowed by the tools we have at our fingertips makes such a difference to our ability to produce writing at the pace and volume at which we do.

Having said all this, I don't think it matters so much whether the document is entirely handwritten, entirely wordprocessed or some combination of the two. As long as the world keeps writing, that's all that matters to me.

http://www.wordwriteforsuccess.com.au/

No comments:

Post a Comment