Saturday, May 2, 2009

The Gift of Sight

Today, I had a moment which made me stop and really appreciate the gift of sight.

As I was racing through the supermarket to grab a couple of quick items from the dairy aisle, I passed an elderly man, hunched in concentration. I realised he was holding a six pack of small yoghurts in one hand and a magnification device in the other, examining the yoghurt label very closely. After I had the items I needed, I came back past him and saw he was still in the same place intently concentrating. I paused and asked him if he needed some help to see something, and he asked me to tell him what amount was in each of the yoghurts in the pack. I was easily able to see the labelling as 200ml, and advised him of the size. He thanked me and we each moved on.

As I walked away, however, I paused, not only the wonder at the challenge that man must face every time he goes to the supermarket and to be glad of my tiny part in helping him, but also to appreciate the precious gift of sight. To me, the text on the label was distinct and sufficiently large, and as I try to imagine how differently the man and others like him must see the world, I am so grateful for this valuable sense.

http://www.wordwriteforsuccess.com.au/

No comments:

Post a Comment