Sunday, June 14, 2009

Laugh out loud

I'm reading a really funny book at the moment. In fact, this post is by necessity going to be quite short, so that I can get back to it as quickly as possible.

Writers who can make you laugh out loud as you read their book have a very special talent. British comedian, Peter Kay, has achieved this for me with his appropriately titled book, 'The Sound of Laughter'. His stories are so down-to-earth, often self-deprecating and about everyday life. It reached a point a couple of nights ago where I was laughing so much as I was reading that I started to wheeze. It was at about this point also that my husband stopped enjoying my mirth and threatened to send me into another room to continue reading.

It's been quite a while since I've been so entertained by a book. Another writer who had this effect on me was Nick Earls with '48 Shades of Brown'. I can remember my husband coming to check on me when he heard strange noises coming from our bedroom - it was me trying not to laugh too loudly so as not to wake our sleeping children.

I've said it before, I'm not a book snob, and this post proves it. If you want to read a really clever book, this one isn't it. However, if you feel like a laugh, try to get your hands on a copy of 'The Sound of Laughter'.

www.wordwriteforsuccess.com.au

No comments:

Post a Comment